Life becomes increasingly more complex as we advance in age and career.
Functioning in your career and life can stop you from actively taking part in your personal growth and development or improving your life. The best solution to this is to introduce an external agent—an excellent coach.
A good coach brings in a fresh perspective and directs their efforts towards your personal development. Coaches can present you with a three-dimensional perspective that proves invaluable to your future self. One important thing to note about coaches is that they care more about where you are going than where you have been.
Attributes and Skills
When picking out a coach, it is vital that you seek a person who possesses the attributes and skills required. This will significantly increase the rate at which you develop.
Any coach you have should possess these essential attributes. Other qualities your training or coaching will require build upon the following attributes.
Your coach should be a:
- A self-starter: A good coach should be able to help you kick-start your goals. So, the coach takes steps to guide you towards your goals, instead of giving you theoretical advice and leaving you alone to battle with the practical aspects. This way, you are more confident in your actions and ability to achieve your goals.
- Have planning skills. Failure to plan simply creates a plan to fail. When your coach can plan, your project is already off to a brilliant start. Their ability to come up with actionable steps will clarify the path to attaining your goals.
- Encourage partnership. A coach that sees you as a partner will inspire more cooperation by working with you and not working ‘you’. Coaches that see you as partners are also the most supportive.
- Listen. It is already common knowledge that we work better when we feel listened to. A life coach that listens to what you have to say will provide more workable solutions for your goals.
- Focus on the future. Working with the future in mind helps to focus on your goals. Remember that you cannot go where you want until you shift your focus from where you used to be. Coaches that focus on the future usually have strong solution-seeking skills and can get you where you need to be faster.
- Experience. A coach with significant experience will impart valuable advice to you.
Mindset and Communication
As a client, you have to be in the right mindset for coaching. Be ready to listen and do whatever it takes to achieve your set goals. You should have a relationship with your coach and share as much as you can with them. Doing this would help them know you better.
Communication should be honest and open. Any obstruction in the communication would lead to distrust, which will damage your relationship.
Benefits of having a coach.
Coaching can affect your life positively. The benefits of coaching vary from individual to individual and coach to coach.
Here are the four benefits to having a coach:
- A coach helps you build personal awareness by informing you about your progress. As you become proactive with your training, a coach’s constant assessment will rub off on you, and you will become more aware of your growth.
- You can concentrate on improving specific skills under coaching. In areas such as your career, specific skills that need to be improved will bloom under the tutelage of a coach.
- Hiring a coach will improve your engagement with self-development. Their constant reminders and exercises will increase the frequency of activities that deal with your growth.
- A coach provides a safe space for you to gain perspective. Under their patient and supportive guidance, a coach can help you work through issues and provide insights into how you can get around any obstacles you might be facing. A safe space also means that you have the chance to gain more in-depth learning and comfort in higher levels of your skill.
Finding a coach that works for you provides a significant boost to your learning and development. The many positive sides to working with a coach are worth the hard work and the time spent getting coached.